- Olive oil, for frying
- 4 x 130g salmon fillets
- 8 fresh shiitake mushrooms, chopped roughly
- 2 pak choi, chopped roughly
- 2 british leeks, washed and thickly sliced, outer leaves removed
- Soba noodles, boiled and drained
For the broth
- 15g dried shiitake mushrooms
- 4 stalks of lemongrass, outer leaves removed, chopped roughly
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 50g fresh ginger, peeled, sliced and crushed
- 2 tomatoes, halves
Make salmon part of your weekly diet to get those all-important omega 3’s!
- First, make the broth. Put the dried shiitake mushrooms in a saucepan with 1 litre (1 pints) of water. Bring to the boil, then gently simmer for 5 minutes to release the flavour. Add the lemongrass, garlic, ginger and tomatoes and stir to mix. Simmer gently for a further 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 30 minutes. Season to taste. Pass through a sieve to remove the aromatics and set aside, ready to reheat for serving.
- Heat a large frying-pan over a medium-high heat with a generous splash of oil. Place the salmon fillets in the pan skin side down and cook for about 3 minutes or until crisp. Turn the fish over and cook for a further minute or so. Take off the heat and allow to rest.
- Meanwhile, heat the broth back up to the boil. Add the fresh shiitake mushrooms, pak choi and leek and allow to cook through.
- To serve, place a portion of soba noodles in a bowl, add the broth with the vegetables over the noodles and place a salmon fillet on top of the noodles. Serve immediately.