As the weather changes, it becomes very easy to catch a bit of a cold. So here’s our top prevention and coping tips!
- Make sure you have your flu vaccination and remember to do it early, as it takes 10 to 14 days to build up adequate immunity.
- Prevention is always better than cure. That means regular hand washing and keeping surfaces in the home nice and clean.
- When you are ill, you can protect others by using a tissue to catch your coughs and sneezes, and binning them right away.
- Remember that your local pharmacist can give you advice and over-the-counter medicine. A doctor will not give you antibiotics for a cold.
- Try steam inhalations if you’re feeling all blocked up. Gargling with salt water can help a sore throat and nasal congestion.
- If you can, go to bed. Rest and lots of sleep will help your body to fight the infection and will counter the deep fatigue you’ll feel.