- 350 g (12 oz) Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 200 g (7 oz) butter, softened
- 155 g (5½ oz) caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 175 g (6 oz) ground almonds
- 2 tbs baking powder
- 2 oranges, juice and finely grated zest
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest
- 3 tbs granulated sugar
In the UK, Coeliac Awareness Week runs from 11-17 May, 2020.
Promoted by Coeliac UK, the week aims to raise awareness of Coeliac Disease, and to bring the gluten-free community together.
We thought we’d play our part this week by sharing some great gluten-free recipes — starting with this Sticky Orange Potato Cake!
- Cook the potatoes in a steamer set over boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender, then press through a potato ricer or mash well, then set aside to cool.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 deg. C, 360 deg. F., Gas Mark 4 then butter and line a 20 cm (8 in) deep, round cake tin.
- Beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla extract until light and creamy. Gradually beat in the eggs, then mix in the ground almonds, baking powder, cooled mashed potatoes, orange and lemon zest. Spoon into the cake tin, smoothing over the surface, and bake in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes until just firm and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooking, put the orange juice in a small saucepan and bring to the boil, reducing it by half. Cool, then stir in the sugar.
- Remove cake from the oven and leave in the tin for 15 minutes then turn out on to a wire rack to cool. Spoon or pour the orange juice mixture over the cake and allow to cool completely before slicing.
For more delicious recipes from “The People’s Friend”, click here.
Read more about Gluten Free Community Week on the event’s website, here.