- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 stick celery, sliced finely
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 large red pepper, diced finely
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ x 400 g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ x 400 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small can sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
- ½ x 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 250 ml (9 fl oz) vegetable stock
- 1 tbs tomato purée
- 1 tbs lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, stoned and sliced
National Vegetarian Week runs from May 11-17.
To mark the occasion, we’re publishing a vegetarian recipe every day this week.
Today: this delicious Mixed Bean Casserole With Sliced Avocado.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan then add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot and pepper and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chilli powder, ground cumin and smoked paprika and cook for a further two minutes.
- Add the black beans, chickpeas, sweetcorn, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the casserole starts to dry out, add a little water.
- Stir in the tomato purée, lime juice, salt and pepper and cook for a further five minutes.
- Serve in small bowls with slices of avocado.
For more delicious recipes from “The People’s Friend”, click here.
If you can’t get to the shops just now for your “Friend”, subscribe now by clicking here. This will mean your “Friend” will come straight to your doorstep!
You can also take out a digital subscription, meaning your issue will come straight to your computer, tablet or phone! And it’s great value for money. Click here for more details.
Read more about National Vegetarian Week on the event’s website, here.