- 400g tin of chickpeas
- 5tbs tomato ketchup
- 1 small onion
- 2tbs sunflower oil
- 2cm piece of ginger
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 2tbs curry powder
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
I am not a huge curry fan, but I do occasionally have a notion for something warm and spicy, and when I do, this Chickpea & Ketchup Curry is the recipe I reach for.
It’s from my cookery bible, “The River Cottage Veg Every Day” book by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.
It’s easy to make, uses ingredients from your store cupboard, and tastes really good!
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the onions until soft
- Add the ginger, chilli, garlic and curry powder, cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add the chickpeas, ketchup, stir then add enough water to loosen the sauce
- Simmer gently for five minutes
- Stir and add the lemon juice
- Add seasoning to taste and serve with rice or warm naan
Turns out the chickpea is a lot more versatile than I first thought!
This is a great way to start off National Curry Week, which runs from Oct 5-11. And it’s easy!