- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1-1¾ tbs unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ tsp salt
- 325 g (11½ oz) flour
- 50 g (1¾ oz) California walnuts, chopped finely
- 1 lt (1¾ pt) vegetable or olive oil for deep frying
- For the Coating:
- 400 g (14 oz) caster sugar
- 1 tbs ground cinnamon
- For the Chocolate Sauce:
- 750 ml (1¼ pt) milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 65 g (2¼ oz) brown sugar
- 2 tsp plain flour
- 50 g (1¾ oz) cocoa powder
Let this luscious Chocolate and California Walnut Churros recipe from California Walnuts take you back to the scents and tastes of those sunny Spanish holidays!
- To make the churros, pour 450 ml (16 fl oz) water into a medium saucepan with the sugar, melted butter and salt. Stir with a whisk.
- Bring to boil and add all the flour and the chopped walnuts.
- Stir for 2 minutes with a wooden spoon until a smooth paste forms. Remove from the heat and form a ball. Allow the churro dough to cool for 5 to 8 minutes.
- While the dough is cooling, pre-heat the oil in a large deep frying-pan over medium heat.
- To make the coating, mix the sugar with ground cinnamon in a wide bowl and set aside.
- Once the churro dough has cooled, place it into a piping bag with a starshaped nozzle. Pipe the dough out
on to a baking tray in 8 cm (3¼ in) pieces. Cut with scissors if needed. Use a wooden skewer to poke through each piece vertically to allow steam to escape during frying.
- Place 4 to 5 churros in hot oil and fry until golden brown and crispy, about 3 to 4 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain on kitchen paper. Dredge in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Meanwhile, to make the chocolate sauce, in a medium saucepan, bring the milk, cinnamon and brown sugar to the boil. Remove from the heat immediately. Cover and let stand. Add the flour and cocoa into milk pan and stir well. Reheat over a low heat for about 10 to 12 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Serve the chocolate sauce hot in cups or glasses with the warm churros.
You can find more holiday-inspired recipes in this week’s issue of the “Friend”.
Send it in!
The People’s Friend team would love to see your creations. You can send them to peoplesfriend@for a chance to be shared on social media or in the magazine!