- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg. C., 350 deg. F., Gas Mark 4. Grease 2 x 18 cm (7 in) cake tins with melted butter. Line the base of each tin with a circle of greaseproof paper.
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl and add the sugar. Beat together with an electric hand whisk for a good few minutes until the mixture is very light and fluffy.
- Mix together the flour, cardamom and lemon zest. Beat in the eggs one at a time, adding a spoonful of the flour with each one to prevent the mixture from curdling. Fold in the remaining flour with a metal spoon until you have a soft, smooth cake batter.
- Divide the mixture between the tins, and level the tops with the back of a spoon. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the cakes spring back when pressed gently with a finger and are pale golden in colour.
- Leave the cakes to cool in the tins for about 10 minutes before removing from the tins and leaving to cool completely on a wire rack. When cool enough to handle, slice each cake in half horizontally.
- To assemble the cake, place one cake section upside down on a cake stand or plate. Spread with the lemon curd. Sandwich with another section of cake and spread with a thick layer of Rodda’s Clotted Cream. Top with another slice of cake and spread again with lemon curd. Carefully top with the final cake and sandwich together. Dust the top with icing sugar, serve and enjoy!