- Carefully slice the lid from the loaf and hollow out as much of the soft bread as possible, leaving a bread shell. (Freeze and save the insides for stuffing!)
- Spread the pesto all over the inside of the loaf and lightly sprinkle with olive oil and vinegar.
- Layer all the cheeses (break up the mozzarella into chunks if using fresh) spinach, ham, onions, pickles and peppers, lightly pressing each layer.
- Place the lid on and cover with cling film. Press between 2 plates and place a weight on top (this helps keep the muffuletta together when slicing).
- Place in the fridge for 2 hours before slicing into wedges.