A happy tummy means a happy mind. It’s never a good day when you’ve snacked on something that just doesn’t agree with you. Keep your gut in mind when balancing your diet, and stack your plate with lots of tummy-friendly foods.
Tickle your taste buds and settle your stomach. Feed your belly the right way with these top tasty tips.
- Fill up on fibre – wholemeal bread, brown rice, fruit and vegetables, beans and oats. If cereals and grains upset your system, get your fibre from fruit and vegetables instead.
- It’s important to keep drinking, especially water. Fibre acts like a sponge and, without water, can’t pass easily through your system. Have a glass of water with each meal.
- Foods high in fat are harder to digest and can cause stomach pain and heartburn. Try to stock up on lean meat and fish and fruit and vegetables rather than chips or other fried foods.
- Not everyone is affected by spicy food, but if you regularly find yourself with an upset stomach or heartburn after chillies, onions or garlic, go easy on them in the future.
- Drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, colas, tea and some fizzy drinks, boost acid in the stomach and lead to heartburn in some people. Try herbal tea, milk or water instead.
- Fizzy drinks also tend to cause bloating and this can lead to heartburn. Choose sugar-free diluting juice, fruit juice or water instead and limit fizzy drinks to one every few days.
Oh, and don’t miss our tum-friendly recipes in our August 5, 2017 issue!