Processed foods have had a lot of bad press recently, especially around the levels of trans fats in pastries and pies. But did you know that there are some processed foods that are actually good for you?
- Canned beans. These are an excellent source of protein and fibre. Check for reduced sodium on the label if you want to keep your salt intake down.
- Canned sweetcorn. The small amount of fat is mostly heart-healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, and the fibre helps you to feel full.
- Canned salmon and tuna. Buying fresh fish can be very expensive, and the canned varieties still contain the omega-3 fatty acids that are good for you.
- Peanut butter. This is a great source of protein and heart-healthy fats. Remember that you can use it as a dip with fresh vegetables and fruit, too.
- Yoghurt. As well as containing calcium, protein, vitamins and minerals, the active bacteria cultures provide digestive health benefits.
- Canned tomatoes. Tomatoes are preserved using heat, which releases lycopene, a carotenoid that may help prevent prostate and breast cancer.