- For the filling:
- Drizzle olive oil
- 500g Piccolo cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 sprigs oregano, leaves only
- 150g ricotta cheese
- 60g cheddar, finely grated
- Generous pinch dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
- For the pastry:
- 125g plain flour, plus extra for flouring
- 125g wholemeal flour
- Generous pinch flaked sea salt
- 125g butter from the fridge, cubed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 75g finely grated cheddar, plus extra to finish
- 1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
- About 2 tbsp milk
- 1 free-range egg yolk, for brushing
This piccolo and oregano galette features a delicious cheddar cheese crust.
We think the crust has a lovely, rustic framing effect on the filling. Plus, regular readers will know our fondness for cheese here at the “Friend” . . .
The folks at British Piccolos gave us this recipe for British Tomato Week, which ran from May 29 – June 11, 2023.
Although we’ve missed the event, we’re still keen to give this recipe a try. And we hope you are, too!
Preparation time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Suitable for vegetarians
For the filling, follow these steps:
- Heat the oven to 160C/140C Fan/Gas 3. Line a baking tray with baking parchment and brush it with a little olive oil.
- Toss the tomatoes in a bowl with the oregano, garlic and a drizzle of olive oil, and season with salt and black pepper. Arrange on the prepared baking tray, cut-side up.
- Roast for an hour until softened. Set aside. If the Piccolos have let out liquid, you can drain them in a sieve or on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
For the pastry, follow these steps:
- Put the measured plain flour, wholemeal flour and salt in a bowl and, using your fingertips, rub the butter in to the consistency of breadcrumbs. Add the dried oregano and cheddar and stir well.
- Mix in the egg and about two tablespoons of milk (enough to bring it to a dough – you may need slightly more or less milk).
- Bring together using your hands and then wrap in cling film and leave to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Increase the temp to 210C/190C Fan/Gas 7 and line a large baking tray with baking paper. Remove the pastry from the fridge.
Get ready to bake:
- Finish the filling by mixing together the ricotta, cheddar, dried oregano, salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste, together in a bowl.
- Unwrap the pastry and roll it out on a floured surface into a round, about 2–3mm thick (around 30cm diameter). Transfer to the baking tray.
- Spread the flavoured ricotta over the pastry, leaving a roughly 5cm border.
- Arrange the tomatoes on top, packed in tightly.
- Fold the edge of the pastry onto the tomatoes to contain the tomato and ricotta filling inside the tart. Brush the egg yolk over the pastry and sprinkle with a little more cheddar.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes. You are likely to need to cover the galette with foil after 20 minutes to stop it over–browning.
- Serve at once with mixed salad leaves.
Send in yours!
Thinking about trying this piccolo and oregano galette? We’d love to see how you get on!
Send a photo to peoplesfriend@ for a chance to be shared on social media or in the magazine!