Entries for “The People’s Friend” 155th Year Bursary Competition are open from January 8, 2024. Submit your romance, thriller, or comedy short story using the following terms and conditions for guidance, for your chance to win a £10K writing bursary!
For more details on the competition, go to “The People’s Friend” 155th Year Bursary Competition page.
Send your fiction short story entry between Monday January 8, 2024 at 9:00am and Monday February 5, 2024 at 23:59pm. Good luck!
The terms and conditions below cover all aspects of the competition.
Full Terms and Conditions For “The People’s Friend” 155th Year Bursary Competition
The prizes available to win are as follows:
1 (one) winner prize
- The winner will be announced in The People’s Friend magazine, as well as on thepeoplesfriend.co.uk and related social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, X/Twitter).
- £10,000 writing bursary
- Publication of winning short story within an issue of The People’s Friend
3 (three) Category Winners (one each from Romance, Thriller and Comedy)
- The Category winners will be announced on thepeoplesfriend.co.uk and related social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, X/Twitter).
- Each winner will be awarded £500
6 (six) runners-up
- The runners-up, two per category, one under 30 and one over 30 will be announced on thepeoplesfriend.co.uk and related social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, X/Twitter).
- Each winner will be awarded £200
Entries are invited from across the UK for those aged 18 and over.
Entrants must be amateur writers. They should submit a never-before published story that can be printed across DC Thomson titles without restriction. Copyright for the original stories remains with the authors at all times.
Accepted subject categories are Romance, Thriller and Comedy each with an under 30 and over 30 age subcategories for category. Entrants must choose only one age category and must meet the age requirements of their chosen category at the date of submission. Entrants may only make one submission per subject category but may make entries for other categories (i.e. up to a total of 3).
Submissions must have a word count of 2,000 with no more than 10% over or under that number. Entrants age, name and category should be included on each submission.
Entries should be typed and emailed as a Word document to email@example.com and include a synopsis (100 words), the short story and a personal bio on the author.
Entries should arrive no later than Monday 5th February 2024 at 23:59pm.
The entries will be judged by a panel of judges, which are selected by DCT and include DCT editorial staff and an independent judge. Once the entries have been judged and the winner selected, the overall winner will be announced in The Peoples Friend Magazine, on thepeoplesfriend.co.uk and related Social Media channels (Facebook, Instagram and X/Twitter). Category winners and runners-up will be announced on thepeoplesfriend.co.uk and related Social Media channels (Facebook, Instagram and X/Twitter).
All prize-winners will be contacted by telephone or email to confirm that they have won a prize and to provide further information on how to claim their prize. Prizes are provided in cash and will be transferred to the prize-winner’s bank account.
Submissions open from 8th January 2024 at 09.00am via email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Entry deadline is Monday 5th February 2024 at 23:59pm.
The overall winner will be announced in The Peoples Friend Magazine, on thepeoplesfriend.co.uk and related Social Media channels. Category winners and runners-up will be announced on thepeoplesfriend.co.uk and related Social Media channels (Facebook, Instagram and X/Twitter).
Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions (“Terms”) are supplemental to and should be read in conjunction with any specific entry instructions or terms applying to the specific competition (“Competition Information”) and in the event of inconsistency these Terms shall prevail.
To enter a competition all entrants must comply with the entry requirements set out in the Competition Information and these Terms. The entrant acknowledges that failure to comply with the Competition Information or these Terms may result in his/her disqualification from the competition.
Unless expressly stated otherwise in the Competition Information these Terms apply to all competitions run (including, without limitation, in print, online, at events or on social media pages) by DC Thomson and Company Limited (a company registered in Scotland with company no. SC005830 whose registered address is 2 Albert Square, Dundee DD1 9QJ (“DCT”) and/or any group companies wholly or partially owned by DC Thomson.
DCT reserves the right to amend and update these Terms at their sole discretion from time to time and such changes will become effective as soon as they are published on the relevant site/publication.
1. Employees and members of their immediate families (being spouses, parents, children and siblings) of DCT are not eligible to enter the competition.
2. Entry to this competition is restricted to entrants who are residents of the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) only.
3. Further restrictions for certain competitions, regarding age, residence and/or other requirements may be specified in the Competition Information and shall take precedence over these Terms.
4. DCT has the right at any time to require entrants to provide proof of identity as evidence of eligibility to participate. If an entrant fails to comply with a request for proof of identity, or provides false or misleading information, DCT may at its discretion, disqualify the entrant from the competition, or, where appropriate allocate the prize to another eligible entrant. Such decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into about a decision regarding eligibility.
5. Entries must be submitted in accordance with the format specified in the Competition Information.
6. The competition is free to enter and (unless otherwise stated in the Competition Information) no purchase is necessary. However standard charges of entry (including postage charges) may be incurred, and all entrants must ask permission from the bill payer before entering. DCT is not liable for any associated cost to entrants of entering a competition unless expressly specified in the Competition Information.
7. Proof of sending an e-mail is not proof of our receipt of your entry and DCT accepts no responsibility for lost, delayed or damaged entries or entries that are not received for any reason.
8. The closing date for entries will be specified in the Competition Information and winners will be notified within 28 days of the closing date (or such other date specified in the Competition Information). Any late entries will not be accepted but the participant may still incur any associated costs.
9. Incomplete or illegible entries will not be counted and will be discarded. DCT has no responsibility to inform any entrant that their entry is incomplete or illegible or not valid for entry to a competition.
10. DCT is not liable for any associated cost to entrants or winners of entering a competition or claiming a prize unless expressly specified in the Competition Information.
11. In entering the competition, you warrant that all information you submit is correct and not obscene or offensive or otherwise in breach of any third-party rights and DCT reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entrants. DCT reserves the right to disqualify any entrant from the competition if it believes (in its sole discretion) that such entrant has breached any of these terms or the specific terms applying to the competition.
12. Entrants (including winners) shall not do or say anything that could damage or harm the reputation of DCT or its group companies, the promoter of the competition (if different), any products included within its publications or any DCT publication or sites.
13. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, X/Twitter, Instagram or any other Social Network.
14. You agree to grant the DCT the following rights in respect of all entries you submit for the full period of copyright including all renewals, reversions, extensions and revivals of such period:
(a) If you are chosen as a winner or runner-up, you agree to the exclusive rights to first publication in any Media (as defined below), in any language, anywhere in the world in The People’s Friend magazine, or any People’s Friend website or social media account at DCT’s discretion.
(b) Following DCT’s first use as described in Clause 14(a) above, the non-exclusive, transferable right to reuse, republish and retransmit your entry or entries in any Media, in any language, anywhere in the world, in The People’s Friend magazine or brand extensions, or any People’s Friend website or social media account at the DCT’s discretion and without further payment to you. These rights will continue to apply and cannot be revoked.
(c) The right to translate, amend, cut or alter your entry as DCT sees fit in accordance with the DCT’s normal editorial practice.
(d) The non-exclusive right to use, store, publish and/or transmit your entry or entries in internal archives and databases managed and used by DCT.
(e) The non-exclusive right to permit third parties to use, store, publish and/or transmit your entry or entries in their external archives and databases for research purposes only. External archives and databases offer access for research purposes to material from a wide range of sources. They are usually accessible on-line but also in other Media. Examples of such external archives include Lexis Nexis and Factiva.
(f) The non-exclusive right for DCT to syndicate your entry or entries subject to payment to you of 50% of all net revenues received by DCT and attributable to such entry or entries.
(g) A right of first refusal (not to be unreasonably delayed) to publish a collection of works in book form (in any format including, but not limited to, printed, electronic and audio books) where the entry or entries you submit form the sole or majority part of such collection (a ‘Book Collection’).
(h) For the purposes of this clause 14, “Media” means any present and future media formats, including but not limited to print publications, digital products, websites, apps, audio publications, electronic publications and interactive publications.
15. For the avoidance of doubt, except as expressly granted herein, all rights to the entry or entries of whatever nature throughout the world will be retained by you (including copyright).
16. Without prejudice to the right of first refusal in Clause 14(g) above, in certain circumstances we may look to publish a Book Collection. Any publication of a Book Collection by us would be subject to new contractual terms to be agreed between you and DCT (including relating to additional payments to you).
17. In certain circumstances, it may be necessary to publish a photograph of you for publicity, promotion or other activity relating to your entry. In the event that this is required, you grant DCT permission to publish a photograph of you of its choosing.
18. If we make any changes to or jointly contribute to an entry you will not be entitled to use the jointly created or edited version of such entry yourself or authorise any third parties to use it without DCT’s prior written consent.
Judging and Draws
19. The entries will be judged by a panel of judges, which are selected by DCT and include key editorial staff and an independent judge. Once the entries have been judged and the winner selected, the overall winner will be announced in The Peoples Friend Magazine, on thepeoplesfriend.co.uk and related Social Media channels (Facebook, Instagram and X/Twitter). Category winners and runner’s-up will be announced on thepeoplesfriend.co.uk and related Social Media channels (Facebook, Instagram and X/Twitter).
20. Unless expressed otherwise in the Competition Information, if, for any reason, DCT is unable to contact a winner to inform them that they have won a competition, or if a winner does not contact DCT within 14 days of DCT sending notification to such winner to confirm acceptance of a prize, then DCT reserves the right (in its sole discretion) to select an alternative winner.
21. There will be 10 prize winners in total and the prizes are as follows:
- Overall winner: £10,000 bursary plus publication in an issue of The People’s Friend.
- Three Category winners: £500
- Six Runners Up: £200
22. Prize money will be paid into a bank account nominated by each winner. Prize winners will be asked to provide bank details by email to email@example.com within 14 days of notification that they have won.
23. Please allow up to 14 days for the prize to be awarded after providing DCT with your details.
24. Prize winners are responsible for paying all taxes, duties and any other levies on prize winnings.
25. DCT may pass details of winners to a third party who is engaged to deliver prizes to winners on behalf of DCT.
Publication of Winners’ Names
26. Names of winners and results of competitions may be published by DCT in our relevant publications and/or on our relevant online channels. To obtain the name(s) of the winner(s) of a specific competition, please send a stamped addressed envelope to: DCT, 2 Albert Square, Dundee DD1 9QJ after the relevant closing date. Please indicate on the envelope the name, publication and date of the specific competition.
Publicity and Use of Personal Information
27. Entrants agree that (if they win) they will take part in such reasonable competition-related publicity as DCT may require and accept that DCT may publicise their entry, including photos or images submitted as part of their entry, names, likeness and statements in connection with/resulting from the competition in any and all media. Unless stated otherwise in the Competition Information, no Entrants or Winners shall be obliged to take part in any photo publicity. Entrants shall not enter into any correspondence or give interviews with any third party on any matters arising from the competition, without prior written permission of DCT.
28. DCT and/or third party promoters for the competition may use data supplied by entrants to process the competition, inform winning participants of their winning entry, distribute prizes and, where the relevant marketing permissions have been collected, to contact entrants in relation to other competitions it runs or to market products or services it believes may be of interest to them.
29. Entry into the competition shall constitute consent to the uses of data contained in these Terms.
31. To the extent permissible under applicable law, DCT shall not be liable to any entrant or to the winner (and/or any guest or parent/guardian as applicable) for any loss or damage howsoever caused (whether in contract, tort (including, without limitation, negligence)statutory duty or otherwise) arising out of or in connection with the competition.
32. To the fullest extent permitted by law DCT does not make any express or implied warranties, representations or endorsements whatsoever with regard to the competition prizes or any information, service or product provided in connection with a competition.
33. DCT does not accept any responsibility for network, computer hardware or software failures of any kind, including (without limitation) those which may restrict or delay the sending or receipt of an entry.
34. Competitions and these Terms (including in respect of any non-contractual obligations) are governed by Scottish law and any disputes arising in connection with a competition and/or these Terms (including in respect of any non-contractual obligations) will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Scotland.