- 70 g (2½ oz) butter
- 250 ml (9 fl oz) milk
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) flour
- 10 g (¼ oz) dried yeast
- 70 g (2½) of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp gingerbread spice
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 lemon, zest only (use the Microplane® Premium Classic Zester)
- 1 orange, zest only (use the Microplane® Premium Classic Zester)
- 50 g (1¾ oz) raisins
- 60 g (2¼ oz) mixed peel
- For the Topping:
- 2-3 tbs flour
- Apple jelly
Who doesn’t love hot cross buns? Nothing says “Easter” quite like them!
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and add the milk. Let it cool until lukewarm.
- Put the flour, yeast, sugar, egg, spice, salt, vanilla paste and the lemon and orange zest into a mixing bowl. Add the butter-milk mixture and knead into a fine dough. It should break away from the bowl edge.
- Cover the dough and leave to prove for one hour.
- Chop the mixed peel finely and mix with the raisins.
- Knead the dough with the dried fruits and form 12 small balls (like bread rolls). Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper or place in a greased dish. Let them rest again for about 30 to 60 minutes. Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 170 deg. C., 325 deg. F., Gas Mark 4.
- To make the topping, mix the flour into a paste with 2-3 tablespoons of water. Put the mixture into a freezer bag. Cut off a small corner of the bag for piping.
- Just before baking, place the “cross” on to the rolls by piping through the cut corner.
- Bake the buns in the pre-heated oven for about 15 to 20 minutes until golden.
- Heat the apple jelly (or other light jam, such as apricot) and glaze the hot cross buns after baking.
- Cool before eating.
If you liked this recipe, you can find more inspiration on our Cookery pages.