- 2 Lyons Coffee Bags (No.3)
- 100 ml (3½ fl oz) milk (or cold water for dairy-free)
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbs oil
- 150 g (5½ oz) self-raising flour
- 150 g (5½ oz) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 125 g (4½ oz) demerara sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 40 g (1½ oz) pecan nuts, chopped
- For the Icing:
- 100 g (3½ oz) icing sugar, sifted
- Excess coffee from loaf recipe
- To Decorate: dried banana chips.
The charitable initiative brings clean water, sanitation and education to coffee-growing communities across the world.
Support them in your own way with this delicious Banana And Coffee Loaf!
- Pour 175 ml (6 fl oz) of freshly boiled water into a measuring jug. Add the coffee bags, stir and squeeze then leave to brew for four minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 deg. C., 375 deg. F., Gas Mark 4. Line a large loaf tin with non-stick baking parchment.
- Remove the coffee bags, squeezing out the last bit of coffee, then pour out a couple of tablespoons into a small bowl and reserve for the icing, Measure the milk or cold water into the jug with the coffee.
- Peel and mash the bananas with a fork on a plate then transfer to a small bowl. Mix in the egg, vanilla and oil.
- Mix the flours with the sugar and salt in a large bowl then stir in the nuts, reserving a few chopped nuts for the top.
- Add the banana mix to the dry ingredients then pour in the coffee. Combine quickly without over-working. Tip into the tin and smooth the top then sprinkle over the rest of the nuts.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 50 minutes. Check that the loaf is ready by inserting a wooden skewer into it – if it comes out clean, the loaf is ready. If not, leave to cook for another 5 minutes and check again. Cool in the tin.
- To make the icing, mix the icing sugar with the reserved coffee until the right consistency to spoon over the loaf. Drizzle on the coffee icing then decorate with banana chips.
- Serve sliced with a little butter if desired (or nut butter for dairy-free).
If you’re looking for more kitchen inspiration, visit our cookery pages.