- 400 g (14 oz) potatoes
- 30 g (1 oz) butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) smoked haddock
- 1 lt (1¾ pt) milk
- 85 g (3 oz) watercress
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 2 tsp oil
- Flour to dust
- To Serve: salad.
If you’re keen to eat healthier, then we think these fishcakes are a great place to start.
Fish is full of important nutrients, and may even lower your risk of heart attacks and strokes. And it’s delicious, too!
- Peel the potatoes and chop into small chunks. Cook in boiling water for approximately 10 minutes until tender.
- Drain, then add the butter, season to taste. and mash roughly.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep frying-pan, gently cook the fish in the milk (in 2 batches if necessary) for 8 minutes or until it flakes. Lift the fish out of the milk and set aside on a plate.
- Chop the watercress.
- When the fish is cool enough to handle, flake it into a large bowl, add the mashed potatoes, watercress and spring onions, and grate in the lemon zest.
- Gently combine all the ingredients, then shape into 8 fishcakes using your hands. Leave to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a frying-pan. Dust both sides of the fishcakes with flour, then gently fry on each side until they are browned and hot to the centre. Serve with a salad.
There you have it: a simple, tasty and healthy meal.
Still hungry? Take a look at some more recipes here, or click the related articles below.