Seven Top Tips To Help You Stay Tip-Top


Did you know that according to research by Natural Hydration Council, 89% of people don’t drink enough water every day?

Our brains are 73% water, so it’s no wonder that seven in 10 adults cited dehydration as one of the top reasons for not feeling at their best.

A recent study, commissioned by natural source water brand Highland Spring, found that the average Brit only feels they perform at their “very best” for one third of every day. Alongside dehydration, people put this down to a lack of sleep, a lack of fresh air and feeling hungry.

Rhiannon Lambert

That’s why Highland Spring has teamed up with registered Harley Street nutritionist Rhiannon Lambert for advice to help you feel in tip-top condition:

Drink Enough Water

The body are mostly water, and it makes sense that we need to stay topped up. Most of us should aim to drink two litres of water a day. If you prefer some flavour in your drink, then add a squeeze of lime juice.

Get Enough Sleep

Sleep deprivation hurts you both physically and emotionally. Set aside some time to wind down into your sleep routine. Avoid drinking caffeinated drinks, opting for water instead. Have a warm bath and relax in pyjamas before turning in for the night. Turn your phone off 30 minutes before bedtime and leave it outside the bedroom.

Think Nutrients, Not Numbers

Calculating every single meal and restricting what you really want to eat based on calorie counting is not going to nourish your body or mind.

A balanced plate will help you achieve optimum nutrition, be free from cravings and will satisfy your body’s every need. As a general rule for everyone, you can follow hand portion sizes:

  • One palm of protein, such as tofu, chicken and fish
  • One handful of carbohydrate, such as rice, oats, starchy vegetables and fruit
  • Two handfuls of non-starchy vegetables, such as broccoli, spinach and peppers
  • One thumb of healthy fats, such as olive oil, butter, coconut oil and nut butter

Make Time For Exercise

Exercise offers benefits that can improve nearly every aspect of your health.

Regular physical activity can also increase the production of hormones that make you feel happier and help you sleep better. You can get health benefits even if you split it into a few short bouts of exercise a day.

Try incorporating more walking into your commute, or taking up a hobby you’ll enjoy, such as swimming or dancing.

Stay Motivated

The goal-setting theory called SMART states that, for a goal to be truly motivating, it should be: smart, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely. By creating goals that meet these criteria, you will significantly increase the chance of success, and you may even get superior results.

Don’t Diet

Almost half of all Brits have tried to lose weight at some point, with the figure rising to as high as 57% for just women.

Almost two-thirds of dieters say that they are pretty much on a diet “all or most of the time”, but fad diets don’t work in the long term. Opt for eating healthy all the time instead.

Moderation Is Key

Believe it or not, having the odd indulgence can be really good for you. Just try to make sure it’s not all the time!

Your relationship with food and your body will only benefit from a relaxed approach. I tend to live by the 80/20 rule:

I am “healthy” 80% of the time, and then for the other 20% I don’t worry about it!

Click here for more health advice, or subscribe to “The People’s Friend” to make sure you never miss our regular column.

Yvonne McKenzie

Yvonne works on the Features team and admits to being nosy, so loves looking after the Between Friends letters and finding out all about our lovely readers. She also looks after our health copy and enjoys writing about inspiring people that help make the articles in the magazine so interesting.