- 2 chicken breasts, skinless
- 1 tbs plus 1 tsp piri-piri seasoning mix
- 1 lime
- 2 tbs oil
- 4 spring onions, 2 chopped finely and 2 cut into strips
- 2 tbs mayonnaise
- ½ avocado
- ½ little gem lettuce
- 2 burger buns
We have a bit of a spicy one for your barbecue this week: piri-piri chicken burgers!
If you’re the one in the family who chooses chili sauce over brown or red, then you’re going to love it.
- Cover the chicken breasts with a sheet of cling film and bash the thickest part with a rolling pin. Ideally the breast will be a similar thickness all over so it cooks evenly.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon of the piri-piri seasoning mix, the juice of half the lime, the oil and the finely chopped spring onions to make a marinade. Pour this over the chicken and leave to marinate overnight, or for as long as possible.
- The chicken can be cooked on the barbecue, in a griddle pan or grilled. Whichever way you do it, cook on a medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, turning regularly. It should be charred on the outside and juicy but cooked in the middle.
- While the chicken is cooking, mix together the remaining piri-piri seasoning and the mayonnaise. Slice the avocado and dress with lime juice and a good pinch of salt. Tear the lettuce leaves and toast the buns.
- Lay the lettuce leaves on the bottom half of each bun, lay the cooked chicken breast on top, add a dollop of piri-piri mayonnaise and top with the spring onion strips and slices of avocado before topping with the bun lid.
If this recipe has your mouth watering, you should take a look at our Cookery pages. We have plenty to offer!