- Vegetable oil or cooking spray for greasing
- 4 large white potatoes, peeled
- 110 g (4 oz) Cheddar, grated
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 medium eggs
- 2 slices cooked streaky bacon, chopped roughly
- 2 avocados, chilled
- ½ tbs curly parsley, chopped finely
- 50 g (1¾ oz) watercress
We’re continuing our series of Easter recipes with this wonderful little brunch option: Hash Brown Egg Nests With Bacon, Avocado And Watercress.
Of course, you don’t have to leave it for Easter . . . it’s delicious any time!
- Pre-heat oven to 190 deg. C., 375 deg. F., Gas Mark 5. Lightly grease 8 holes in a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Grate the potatoes finely into a bowl then cover with cold water and allow to sit for a few minutes. Rinse in a colander and squeeze out any excess moisture before returning to the bowl.
- Add 100 g (3½ oz) of the Cheddar and the tablespoon of olive oil. Season generously and mix well.
- Take an eighth of the potato mixture in your hand at a time and squeeze out any further moisture before pressing into the prepared tin. Use your fingers to pack the mix in tightly. Try to encourage some bits of potato to stick up above the edges as this is what will make the finished products look like nests.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes or until the edges have browned. Remove from oven and crack an egg into each nest then season. Next, scatter over the chopped bacon and remaining cheese. Place back into the oven and cook until the egg white has set. Check after 10 minutes then regularly (every minute or so) to make sure that the yolks do not over-cook.
- Let the hash brown nests cool in the tin, then gently slide a knife around the edges of each nest before using a fork or small palette knife to lift out of the pan.
- Slice the avocados at the last minute then serve with the warm nests, scattered with the parsley, on a bed of watercress.
For more delicious recipes from “The People’s Friend”, click here.
If you can’t get to the shops just now for your “Friend”, subscribe now by clicking here. This will mean your “Friend” will come straight to your doorstep!
You can also take out a digital subscription, meaning your issue will come straight to your computer, tablet or phone! And it’s great value for money. Click here for more details.