- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1.5 kg (3 lb 5 oz) beef steak, diced into 2 cm (¾ in) cubes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 onions, chopped
- 300 g (10½ oz) carrots
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) shiitake mushrooms
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 300 ml (½ pt) veal stock
- 300 ml (½ pt) Crabbie’s Original Alcoholic Ginger Beer
- 1 x pack puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk
A steak pie is a staple of Sunday lunches up and down the country.
If you’ve always wanted to give it a try, or you’re looking for a new recipe, we have a good one for this week, courtesy of Crabbie’s Original Alcoholic Ginger Beer.
- Pre-heat oven to 190 deg. C., 375 deg. F., Gas Mark 5.
- In a large pan, heat the vegetable oil over a high heat. Fry the beef for about 20 minutes, until it has started to brown. Add the garlic and vegetables and cook for another 10 minutes. Add the herbs, stock and Crabbie’s Original Alcoholic Ginger Beer and cook out until you have a thick sauce.
- Place all of the meat and sauce into the bottom of a pie dish.
- Roll out the puff pastry to fit the top of the pie dish. Use the egg yolk to seal the side of the pastry around the pie. With a fork or kitchen scissors, pierce 2 holes in the top of the pie to let steam out during cooking.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 40 minutes and until golden brown.
If you can’t get to the shops just now for your “Friend”, subscribe now by clicking here. It means your magazine will come straight to your door every week — all you have to do is put the kettle on!
You can also take out a digital subscription, meaning your issue will come straight to your computer, tablet or phone! And it’s great value for money. Click here for more details.