- 300 g (10½ oz) self-raising flour
- 300 g (10½ oz) light brown sugar
- 150 g (5¼ oz) butter
- For the Topping
- 300 g (10½ oz) sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 150 g (5¼ oz) strawberries, chopped roughly
These Picnic Week strawberry squares are fresh and sweet, making them a delicious snack that can be enjoyed at any time of day.
Cut them up and pop some in a lunchbox, serve at picnics or enjoy as a dessert — this fruity bake will make happy tums all round.
What’s more, this is a perfect way to use up any freshly-picked strawberries.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 deg. C., 325 deg. F., Gas Mark 3, and line a 30 x 20 cm (12 x 8 in) deep-sided baking tray with parchment paper.
- To make the base, mix the flour and sugar, and rub in the butter until you have a sandy texture.
- Spread half of this mixture in your lined tray and press down gently with a spatula or back of a spoon until you have an even layer.
- For the topping, add the sour cream and eggs to the remaining flour mix and stir until just combined and with only a few lumps remaining.
- Pour this mixture over the base in your tin and spread evenly. Top with the chopped strawberries, arranging them evenly over the surface.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden and set.
- Once cooked remove from the oven. Let your bake cool completely before cutting.
This recipe comes to us from our friends at the National Trust. Enjoy a day out at one of their properties today.