- 2 kg (4 lb 8 oz) good quality pork shoulder, bone in, skin on
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 125 g (½ jar) Tracklements Apple & Sage Jelly
This Easter roast pork recipe will make a sensational centrepiece for your Easter dinner. The oven does the heavy lifting with a long slow cook, while you sip a chardonnay …
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
- Score the pork skin with a sharp knife — about 1 cm (½ in) apart — through the skin and fat, but try not to go through to the meat.
- Rub sea salt into the scores. Season the underside of the joint with salt and pepper and place skin side up into a roasting dish. Roast, uncovered, in the pre-heated oven for 40 minutes (you’re waiting for the skin to puff up and start to crackle).
- Turn the oven down to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2.
- Cover the joint with two layers of tinfoil so no moisture can escape and cook at the bottom of the oven for around 4½ hours.
- Remove the tinfoil, baste the pork with the juices and cook, uncovered, for a further hour or until the crackling is crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest. Transfer the juices to a pan, wait for them to separate and pour off the fat.
- Stir in the Apple & Sage Jelly, heat gently until the jelly has melted and serve with your favourite accompaniments, such as roast potatoes, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower cheese (with a touch of Tracklements Sweet Mustard Ketchup — you’ll thank us for this tip later!)
The People’s Friend team would love to see your creations. You can send them to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be shared on social media or in the magazine!