- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) Isle of Wight tomatoes
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbs grated ginger
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed lightly
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 12 curry leaves
- 400 g (14 oz) Isle of Wight cherry tomatoes
- 1 x 400 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 100 ml (3½ fl oz) vegetable stock or water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To Serve: fresh coriander; coconut yoghurt; mango chutney; rice; chapatis (optional).
The theme this week is Vegan Comfort foods so we teamed up with Isle of Wight tomatoes to bring you a hearty vegan curry recipe.
Vegan Curry Recipe Method
- Cover the tomatoes with boiling water in a bowl and leave for 3 minutes. Drain, cover with cold water, then peel off the skins and chop the tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a frying-pan. Add the garlic and ginger. Fry for a minute then add the onion and chilli. Fry gently until soft and then add the spices and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, curry leaves and stock or water. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes on a medium heat until thickened – add a little extra water if it’s too dry. Add the cherry tomatoes and chickpeas, season and simmer for 5 minutes until the cherry tomatoes are soft but still holding their shape.
- Scatter with fresh coriander and serve with coconut yoghurt and mango chutney. And rice and chapatis, if you like!
Send it in!
If you try our vegan curry recipe, “The People’s Friend” team would love to see your creations. You can send them to peoplesfriend@for a chance to be shared on social media or in the magazine!
You’ll find more vegan recipes in this week’s issue of the “Friend”. Available online or from most major supermarkets and newsagents. Or, to make sure you never miss our delicious recipes, you can subscribe to get every issue delivered straight to your door each week.
Check out our Cookery section for more recipes.