- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp ground turmeric
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 250g dried yellow split peas
- 50g California Walnuts, chopped, plus 15g extra for topping
- 4tbsp plain soya yoghurt
- 2tsp harissa paste
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
Not only delicious, this recipe is cholesterol-friendly too, with added heart-healthy walnuts for a rich, satisfying meal…
Preparation time: 10min
Cooking time: 45min
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion for 3-4min, add the garlic, coriander and turmeric and fry for 1-2min. Dissolve the stock cubes in 1.5 litres boiling water. Stir the split peas, 50g walnuts and stock into the pan, cover and simmer for 45min or until the split peas are tender, season to taste. Purée with a stick blender until smooth.
- Stir together the yoghurt, harissa, half the chilli and half the remaining walnuts.
- Pour the soup into bowls and drizzle with the harissa yoghurt mixture, sprinkle with remaining chilli and walnuts to serve.
Cook’s tip: For a coarse texture to the soup, blend half and stir back into the rest of the soup. Try adding chopped coriander just before serving.