- 3 American sweet potatoes
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped roughly
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 courgette
- 3 sprigs of thyme, with the stalks removed
- 150 g (5½ oz) pecorino cheese (or vegetarian alternative)
This sweet potato and courgette bake is a great choice for those looking to eat more of their five a day!
The pecorino cheese used in the recipe and to garnish means it won’t be suitable for vegans, however it’s easy to substitute your own favourite cheese instead!
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg. C., 350 deg. F., Gas Mark 4.
- Peel one of the sweet potatoes and chop into small pieces.
- Sauté the sweet potato chunks in a saucepan with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the onion, garlic and 150 ml (¼ pt) water until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, peel the remaining two sweet potatoes and cut into slices around ½ cm (¼ in) thick.
- Mash the cooked sweet potato mixture until you have a smooth, creamy consistency, then season to taste.
- Cut the courgette into slices roughly ½ cm (¼ in) thick.
- Take a baking dish and grease with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, then layer the sweet potato slices and the courgette until you run out.
- Season with salt and pepper and top with the sweet potato mixture.
- Sprinkle over the thyme and pecorino, saving a little of the cheese to garnish. Sprinkle over the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and bake in the pre-heated oven for around 1 hour, until a crispy topping has formed.
- Serve with a sprinkle of pecorino cheese to garnish.
If this sweet potato and courgette bake has you wondering about other ways to use this versatile vegetable, click the tag below for more suggestions.