- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) lean beef mince
- 1 tbs freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tbs freshly chopped basil
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 100 g (3½ oz) breadcrumbs
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- 1 x 350 g jar Sacla’ Whole Cherry Tomato & Chilli Pasta Sauce
- To Serve: freshly cooked penne pasta.
Today is World Pasta Day, so we thought we’d celebrate by bringing you an extra little recipe this week.
Join us in showing our appreciation for this versatile, tasty staple by preparing Polpette Alla Diavola Meatballs for dinner tonight!
- In a bowl, mix the mince, herbs, spring onions, lemon zest, breadcrumbs and cinnamon together.
- Season well and roll small, walnut-sized pieces of the mince into balls.
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying-pan and fry meatballs lightly, until golden.
- Heat the Sacla’ Sauce in a saucepan and add the meatballs. Serve with freshly cooked penne pasta.
Five fun facts about pasta
- Spaghetto is the singular word for spaghetti.
- There are over 600 known pasta shapes.
- Italy produces between 1,700,000 and 3,300,000 TONNES of pasta per year.
- People originally ate pasta plain (with no sauce), or sprinkled with sugar, cinnamon and soft cheese, served as a dessert.
- On April 1st 1957, one of the first ever TV April fool’s day jokes convinced the nation of BBC watchers that spaghetti grew on trees!
If you can’t get to the shops just now for your “Friend”, subscribe now by clicking here. It means your magazine will come straight to your door every week — all you have to do is put the kettle on!
You can also take out a digital subscription, meaning your issue will come straight to your computer, tablet or phone! And it’s great value for money. Click here for more details.