- 800g braising steak, cubed
- 3tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1tbsp palm sugar or dark brown sugar
- 2tsp five spice powder
- 1tsp ground pepper
- 2 lemongrass stalks, outer leaves removed, chopped finely
- 3tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 large shallots, chopped finely
- 3 carrots, cubed
- 400g butternut squash, cubed
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and sliced
- 4 large tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 2tbsp tomato paste
- 250ml beef stock
- 2 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2tsp cornflour mixed with 1tbsp cold water
- Thai basil leaves and green and red chillies, to garnish
- Steamed rice, to serve
Cold days like these are just made for tasty, hot one-pot meals!
A few minutes prep, then into the slow-cooker for the day to develop those lovely, savoury flavours. And best of all, it doesn’t need any attention while it’s cooking.
Preparation time: 1hr to marinate
Cooking time: over 6hr (in slow cooker)
- Put the beef in a bowl and add the soy sauce, minced garlic, sugar, five spice powder, pepper and lemongrass. Mix to combine, cover and leave to marinate for an hour.
- Heat 2tbsp of the oil in a non-stick frying-pan and brown the beef, in batches, until nicely coloured. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Wipe the pan and heat the remaining oil. Fry the shallots for 5min until softened. Stir in the carrots, squash and chillies and cook for another 5min.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, star anise and cinnamon sticks and bring to a simmer. Transfer to the slow cooker and stir in the cornflour.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Remove the cinnamon sticks and star anise.
- Garnish with sliced green and red chillies and Thai basil leaves and serve over steamed rice. Enjoy!
We have plenty more cold-weather recipes to warm you up right here on our website.
Or turn up the heat with a healthy and hearty vegetable chilli!