- 1 tbs sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1½ tbs garam masala spice mix
- 350 g (12 oz) sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 100 g (3½ oz) red lentils, rinsed well
- 1 x 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 3 medium British Lion eggs
- 1 green chilli, chopped finely
- 2 tbs coriander or mint, chopped finely
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
National Vegetarian Week runs from May 10-16, so we’re marking the occasion with this tasty veggie eggy curry recipe. We bet meat-eaters will be coming back for seconds!
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, add onion and cook over a medium heat until softened. Add the garam masala, and cook for a further minute. Stir in the sweet potato, lentils and tomatoes. Fill the tomato can full of water, swirl and add to the pan.
- Cover loosely and cook over a medium heat for about 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding a splash more water if it becomes too thick.
- Meanwhile, place the eggs in a pan of hot water, bring to the boil and cook for 6 minutes. Drain and put in very cold water before peeling. Roll cooled eggs in the chilli and coriander, season with pepper and set aside.
- Spoon the curry into bowls, halve the eggs and place on top.
If you enjoyed this, we have lots more delicious vegetarian recipes in our archive. Why not try Roast Sweet Potato With Braeburn Apple And Fennel Salsa, or seasonal Jersey Royals, Goats’ Cheese And Asparagus Flan, or maybe a Hearty, Healthy Vegetable Chilli? To browse our full archive of tasty recipes, click here.
Read more about National Vegetarian Week on the event’s website, here.
Remember, we feature a whole host of recipes in every issue of our weekly magazine, and in our Specials. Make sure not to miss your next “Friend” fix by subscribing today.